Sunday, January 25, 2015

Rainbowdragoneyes - The Primordial Booze


Artist: Rainbowdragoneyes
Title: The Primordial Booze
Genre: Chiptune electronic
EP
2011
Favorite Track: Creatures Ov Deception
Available as: Download, CD (Rage Not Rave)

I haven't included the cover in this post because it's hideously ugly and I don't want it on my blog. Also, there's something on it that looks like a boob so it's probably NSFW.

The drummer of a pirate death metal band makes chiptune music. I don't think it could possibly get much weirder than this. Rainbowdragoneyes is actually Eric Brown, aka Legendary Pirate King Eric the Brown of Swashbuckle. Now, Swashbuckle's music isn't really my thing (I don't like death metal, even when it is about pirates), but Eric really has something with this chiptune thing. 

Chiptune is a subgenre of electronic that uses synthesizer chips from old game systems to create new music. It, like most electronic music, isn't really my thing, but this album is a really interesting mix of chiptune and pirate metal, and I do love pirate metal. There's something about making music about pirates that just appeals to me. I think I still have quite a bit of the 7-year-old boy who's into pirates in me. 

The album is driving, danceable, and often pretty funny, both in its bleepy sounds and over-the-top lyrics. Even though I don't like death growls as a matter of principle (if you're going to sing like Cookie Monster, do it out of my earshot, please and thank you), I don't mind the ones Brown includes in this album. Maybe it's the fact that they're processed with a bunch of different voice treatments so they basically just become a part of the background. Whatever it is, they're surprisingly inoffensive here.

The EP is a short 20 minutes, so there's not a whole lot to talk about here. The first track is ambient influenced and not my thing, but the rest of the songs are funny, fast, and entertaining. If you're feeling like something ridiculous, you might want to check this out. It's on Spotify (like everything else in the world) and you can buy both the digital album and CD from Rainbowdragoneyes' Bandcamp page.

No comments:

Post a Comment